Work Package 4
Climate Optimized Trajectories
Participant : TUD, Thales, DLR
WP leader : TUD
Start month : 01 – End month : 46
Main contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assess the different persistent contrails prediction skills from WP2 through trajectory calculations.
Evaluate the climate impact reduction potential from avoiding persistent contrails.
Demonstrate the feasibility of the climate impact mitigations
Description of work:
T4.1 Traffic sample identification
- Route network analysis
- Selection of the appropriate traffic sample selection
- Providing the traffic area
T4.2 Assessing the persistent contrail prediction skills based on trajectory calculations
- Adapt the trajectory optimization model to incorporate the improved persistent contrails prediction methods
- Calculate 4-D trajectories for sample traffic based on different contrail mitigation strategies.
- Evaluate the persistent contrails prediction skills through the trajectory calculations.
T4.3 Assessing the climate impact reduction potential from avoiding persistent contrails
- Adapt the trajectory optimization model to incorporate the regulatory measures
- Calculate 4-D trajectories for sample traffic via balancing the eco-efficiency between climate impact, e.g., contrail and cost change.
- Calculate cost optimized 4-D trajectories for sample traffic under consideration of algorithmic 4-D cost functions for climate change (Policy driven flight optimization; Input from WP5)
- Identify the effectiveness of both contrail avoidance and policy intervention.
- Assess the climate impact reduction potential from contrail avoidance.
T4.4 Demonstrating the climate impact mitigation by green flights
- Implementation of the optimized trajectories in a state-of-the-art air traffic planning algorithm
- Demonstrate the green flight concepts